Welcome to the 2021 Spring Girls Lacrosse Season and U11 TEAM BLACK!
We are excited to have your daughter on our team. Below is some (ok, a lot of) information to review and our practice schedule for the next two weeks.
TEAM INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION:
Go to the Team Page for information on TEAM BLACK including the roster, contact information and schedule. Coach communications will be emailed from the website. You can expect a weekly email as we get closer to April. If you wish to add/change email addresses, log in to MHDGirlsLax.org and update your Account. Coaches cannot make changes to individual accounts.
How to Access Team Page:
1. Log into Marblehead Girls Youth Lacrosse (MHDGirlsLax.org)
2. Enter your email address and password
3. Select our team from “MHDLAX GIRLS TEAMS” horizontal tab
PRACTICES: Team practices start next week – outdoors on Tower School’s turf
- Thurs., March 4 from 5-6pm; and
- Thurs., March 11 from 5-6pm.
We will send another email with a more detailed practice schedule so you can get it in your calendars.
This weekend - please have your player locate her stick, goggles and cleats now. Mold a new mouthguard. Adjust goggles. Loosen strings and deepen the pocket of her stick. Locate a reversible practice pinnie. Gather warm layers, hat and gloves. Make sure that she and her equipment are ready for our first practice. Well-adjusted equipment will help her get the most out of practice.
Due to COVID, we will not be able to practice indoors. Weather permitting—we will let you know if we need to postpone. Dress accordingly! Lacrosse gloves are highly recommended as well as layers. We will rotate practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays in March on the Tower turf. The first week of April, practice will move Mondays and Wednesdays on Village School’s upper field when the town opens the grass fields. Please check weekly emails and our team page for specific practice times.
Always check email if the weather is questionable before practice. We will do our best to email in a timely fashion if we need to cancel due to weather or field conditions. Subscribe to athletic field status updates on the Town of Marblehead website for automatic field notifications.
This year, we are competing in in North division of Founders Girls Lacrosse League (FGLL). We have eight Sunday games starting 4/11. Games are 4/11, 4/18, 4/25, 5/2, 5/9, 5/16, 5/23, 6/6 with a potential Jamboree on 6/13 (no game on Memorial Day Weekend). U11 plays a modified game with seven field players and a goalie on a shorter field — two attack, three midfielders, two defense and one goalie.
UNIFORMS & EQUIPMENT:
The U11 game uniform includes a numbered jersey top supplied by the program and a black skort (avail at Sports Shop or Amazon). Any color shirt or sweatshirt may be worn under the jersey, but we prefer black. Jerseys are supplied when a player first registers with Marblehead Girls Youth Lacrosse. Players are responsible for keeping and reusing their jersey for the following season. We expect players to return jerseys to the program at the end of their 8th grade season or when they "retire". The fee to replace lost jerseys is $25. Heather Bush (
) will be coordinating jersey distribution this year for our U11 team.
Player equipment for practice includes stick, eyewear, mouthguard, reversible practice pinnie or her uniform jersey and cleats. Masks must be worn this year at all times, cover the mouth and nose and loop around the ears. No gaiters or masks that tie around the head or neck. Mouthguards, eyewear and masks are mandatory —your daughter cannot play without them.
Please make sure your daughter arrives at practice on time with a marked reusable water bottle, mask, eyewear, mouthguard, reversible pinnie, hand sanitizer, stick, cleats, warm layers (sweatpants, leggings, fleece, wind jacket, hat and gloves if cold out). Hair should be tied back. Earrings off. Please pick up on time. If you stay to spectate, only one parent per player is allowed per state limit on outdoor gatherings. Everyone must mask up and socially distance at all times.
As coaches, we will strive to instill the following:
· Have *fun*
· Learn, respect, and love the game of lacrosse.
· Be a team player.
· Always display good sportsmanship, by respecting your teammates, coaches, opponents, and officials.
· Come to each practice a few minutes early, with a smile on your face, and be ready to have fun.
· Have a positive attitude.
· Listen to and respect your coaches and teammates.
· Always portray good sportsmanship.
· Give 100% in practice and games.
· Have your daughter arrive 5 mins early to practice, healthy, fully dressed and ready to start.
· Follow COVID guidelines per the CDC for assessing symptom and staying home if exposed or ill — more to follow
· Respect the coaches' time; pick up on time at the end of practice.
· During games, please be a respectful spectator, sit on the opposite sideline from the team and observe COVID restrictions (one-per-player spectator limits, mask up and socially distance at all times).
· Feel free to let us know if you have any concerns or questions; however, this is also an excellent opportunity to encourage your daughter to advocate for herself. We hope players will approach us directly in person before/after practice or by text/email with any concern or questions that arise throughout the season.
· Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA) offers a terrific online course for parents – go to the “Code of Conduct” tab at mhdgirlslax.org for more information.
We are excited to see you next Thursday! Finally – if your daughter is nervous because it has been some time since she touched her stick, please tell her she is in good company! We’re going to start from basics and build from there. If you have any questions, please contact any one or all of us.