Welcome to 2020 Marblehead Girls Lacrosse U15 Select Team!
We are looking forward to a great season coaching this talented team of 7th and 8th Graders!
Below is initial information for parents and players, and you can expect more updates from us via email over the next few weeks.
Please locate your stick, goggles, indoor shoes and cleats, and mold a new mouthguard, to assure you are ready to go on the first day.
Marblehead Girls Youth Lacrosse Mission Statement:
The Mission of Marblehead Girls Youth Lacrosse is to promote girl’s youth lacrosse in an environment that emphasizes fun, while developing skills, teamwork, good sportsmanship, and integrity. We follow all rules and regulations as set forth by US Lacrosse. We strive to always “honor the game.”
Practice will begin on March 3rd. All of our practices will be held on Tuesday evenings on the new Tower School Turf Field from 7:30 to 8:30. As we will be practicing outside, please dress accordingly. Lax gloves are highly recommended, as well as layers.
Always check your email if the weather is questionable before a practice. We will do our best to email you in a timely fashion if we need to cancel due to weather or field conditions. Also, the Marblehead field status is available here: http://www.marblehead.org/index.aspx?nid=622.
All communications will come via email, and you can expect a weekly email once games begin to outline any schedule updates. If you wish to add or change emails, please log in to www.mhdgirlslax.org and make updates. Coaches cannot make changes to individual records.
Uniforms and Equipment:
All players should have a Marblehead Girls Lacrosse reversible numbered jersey from the 2019 season. Please locate this jersey. If you cannot find it, please let us know as soon as possible. Players must wear a black skort on the bottom and in colder weather black leggings and black shirts under uniforms. Skorts and socks can be purchased at the Marblehead Sports Shop.
Players must provide their own stick, protective eye goggles, and mouthguard. Mouthguards should be molded and should have nothing protruding from the mouth. Also, please make sure your daughter arrives at practice with: a water bottle; appropriate footwear (sneakers for indoors, cleats or turf shoes for outdoor practices), and warm clothes such as hats, sweatshirts and gloves once we go outside.
The Select team participates in the Mass Bay Girls Lacrosse League (MBGLL). Games are on Friday nights: April 17, May 1, 8, 15, 29 and June 5. There is a possible tournament on June 12. There is no lacrosse on Memorial Day weekend. Home games are typically played on the turf at Piper field. We will share game times and locations with you when the schedule is released later in March.
As coaches, we will strive to instill the following:
- Have fun.
- Learn, respect, and love the game of lacrosse.
- Be a team player.
- Always display good sportsmanship, by respecting your teammates, coaches, opponents, and officials.
- Come to each practice a few minutes early, with a smile on your face, and be ready to have fun.
- Have a positive attitude.
- Listen to and respect your coaches and teammates.
- Always portray good sportsmanship.
- Give 100% when you are at practice or a game.
- Please make sure your daughter is a few minutes early to practice so she is ready to start on time.
- Please respect the coaches' time, and pick up your daughter on time at the end of practice.
- During games, please be a respectful spectator.
- During games, please sit on the opposite sideline from the team.
- Feel free to let us know if you have any concerns or questions; however, this is also an excellent opportunity to encourage your daughter to advocate for herself – we hope players will approach us directly with concerns or questions.
The goal of our Select program is to give players with a current higher skill level the chance to further improve their game. The Select program builds on what the girls learn in town practice and goes deeper into different areas of the game. As such, while our main goal is always to have fun, it is also to field the most competitive team possible. To that end, players may not all see equal playing time, which is different from the town program philosophy. A player’s practice attendance, effort, attitude, and leadership will also factor into decisions about playing time. We expect that our Select players attend all their town practices and games as well.
We are excited to start practicing! If you have any questions please feel free to contact one of us.
Paige Rogers, Head Coach (607)423-3963
Susannah Forbes, Assist. Coach (781)223-4845